Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager – EDF Renewables, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager
Role : Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager
Location : Gqeberha/Port Elizabeth
Contract : Permanent
Package : Market Related
Starting date : Immediate
EDF Renewables (‘’EDF R’’) is a locally based fully integrated independent power producer that develops, finances, builds, owns and operates commercial renewable energy generation facilities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
EDF Renewables’ expertise in renewable energy stems from its parent company, EDF Renouvelables, the renewable energy arm of French power utility EDF. With offices located in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, EDF Renewables manages in excess of 3GW of projects under development, construction and operation.
EDF R is currently:
Intern – Production & Projects: HITACHI ENERGY
1. operating 4 wind energy projects in the Eastern Cape Province.
2. constructing three 140 MW farms near Noupoort in the Northern Cape.
3. financing 520MW of renewable energy projects for private Offtake.
4. developing a portfolio of renewable Energy projects in South Africa.
5. Establishing ENVUSA, a joint venture between Anglo-American and EDF R renewables which is responsible to decarbonise and supply all of Anglo American’s mines in Southern Africa with 100% renewable energy sources by 2030.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager – EDF Renewables, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
The Senior Economic Development Manager will be responsible for the following:
Renewable energy plants in operation
- Oversee the implementation of the Company’s Enterprise Development (EnD) and Socio-Economic Development (SED) programs associated with its operational renewable energy projects. This includes the management of the external implementing agent appointed to implement, monitor and reports on EnD and SED projects funded by the company. Tis responsibility includes and is not limited to:
o Managing the employee currently in charge of administering the EnD and SED programs of the Company.
o Sourcing and implementing creative new SED & EnD programs.
o Reviewing of SED & EnD contracts/ agreements/ term sheets prior to implementation.
o Implementing internal controls and procedures for SED & EnD projects.
o Oversee beneficiary assessments, manage the contracting process, define the implementation processes and oversee project implementation.
o Review and consolidate quarterly Economic Development reports (EnD and SED), forecasts achievements vs obligations for shareholders, financers and the Department of Energy (DoE).
o Manages a growing portfolio of EnD and SED programs as more renewable energy projects come online.
- Community Trusts: Provide oversight and play advisory role to boards of Community Trusts in order to ensure these boards are fully prepared for a significant ramp-up of the amounts dividends accruing to the EDF R related Community Trusts.
Renewable energy plants under construction:
- Finalise all preparatory work and community consultation processes initiated by the Company in order to devise meaningful community developments plans ahead of the start of operations (EnD, SED and Skills Transfer). This includes but is not limited to the following deliverables which may be outsourced:
o Socio-economic assessment of host communities
o Community Asset mapping
o Community Consultation and Needs Analysis
o Identification of potential EnD/SED programs to be funded.
Renewable energy plants preparing for Financial Close
- Responsible to ensure Projects are compliant with IFC Performance Standards (in particular IFC PS 2, 4, 5, and 7) and/or with lenders and sponsors requirements
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Implementation Department in order to adapt all the policies, procedures that will be applicable to the Project during its construction phase with regards to Job Creation and Local Procurement.
- Provide inputs in the social section of Project ESMS.
- Procure socio-economic assessment of host communities.
- Represent the interests of the Company when drafting, reviewing and finalizing the Socio-Economic Development policy that will be applicable at ENVUSA level.
- Provide comments and validate the proposed SED plans associated with captive sites located near an existing mine.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager – EDF Renewables, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
The Senior SED Manager will report directly to the Head of Project Development
CANDIDATE PROFILE: Senior Socio-Economic Development Manager – EDF Renewables, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
• A degree in any of the following disciplines: Economics, Business Administration, Social Economics…
• Leadership and management skills and experience.
• Good reporting and writing skills.
• Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Understanding of the International Finance Corporation (IFC)- Performance Standards and Compliance on social aspects.
• Fair understanding of Social requirements in the REIPPPP and Mining Charter (Bonus)
• Financial and Legal literacy
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Socio-Economic Development preferably in the renewable energy space, but not limited to.
• Good interpersonal skills; able to influence others without having direct authority
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; in particular, good presentation skills at all levels (including local community meetings, board level presentations and press relations)
• Creative and innovative thinking