Business Development Manager – Solar: Puma Energy, South Africa
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
About Puma Energy
Puma Energy is a Swiss multinational mid- and downstream oil company, majority-owned by Singapore-based French company Trafigura. Its operations span around 40 countries across five continents and encompass the supply, storage, refining, distribution, and retail of a range of petroleum products.
There has never been a greater need for secure, clean, affordable energy and we are seeing a shift from large, centralised power production and distribution to smaller, modular, more diverse and digitised energy systems. Our technical expertise, market knowledge and position in the energy supply chain mean that we are able to deliver distributed power solutions, underpinned by best-in-class technology and our high health, safety and environment (HSE) standards.
Our emphasis is on delivery and we are focused on solar, battery and hybrid energy solutions for our assets in the communities in which we operate, allowing us to learn and build capability while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Main Purpose: Business Development Manager – Solar: Puma Energy, South Africa
This role will be responsible for managing existing and new key customers / key accounts, driving business-to-business relationships, and working on a fast-paced, effective sales lead to support Puma Energy’s solar objectives.
The position will be part of a team focused on selling Pumas solar and hybrid (storage/diesel) energy solutions via PPAs and lease agreements to small and large commercial and utility-scale solar (PV) markets in Africa.
Puma is seeking to fill this role immediately.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
• Manages the customer/prospect solar and hybrid Puma Energy portfolio in the assigned B2B African region
• Gains new business and make necessary contacts by generating interest and translating the latent needs of the B2B customer into sustainable energy solutions to reach the defined sales objectives
• Expands Puma’s energy sales network by identifying, pitching, and building relationships with potential partners and/or customers in key African markets through cold-calling, networking, qualifying prospects, and closing sales.
• Deepens and expands relationships and business with existing partners/customers • Integrate information, resources, and activities within the region and participates in the formulation of the sales PPA, lease, and rent-to-own contract negotiation and contract confirmation.
• Develops specific customer strategies and campaign plans, driving leadership in their execution • Is accountable for implementing and executing the monthly, quarterly and annual sales strategy
• Works together with the Solar project manager and Future Energies team in developing energy projects
• Preparation of quotations, calculation of the economic modeling, follow-up and advice in the design of the appropriate financial structures
• Provides regular reporting to management, including sales pipeline development, forecasting, key account status, market condition updates, sales results and team earnings
• Efficiently and pro-actively manages relationships providing quotations, shepherding orders through the company process, and providing excellent post-sales service on a timely basis
• Manages daily activities of the operational sales support function.
• Oversees workflow of all sales processing including preparation of reports, charts, and other statistics to support and direct the sales department.
• Travel as required
SKILLS AND RESQUIREMENTS:
Background & Experience:
• Minimum 3 years in commercial experience in the B2B energy sector, preferably in Solar PV.
• Experience with utilities, EPCs and IPPs is preferable
• Engineering background or equivalent is preferable
• A degree in business administration / sales is a plus
• Strong commercial acumen
• Literacy in financials
• Leading people and strong influencing skills
• Strong negotiation and sales skills
• Financial acumen to manage a P&L
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications; Presentation tools and programs;
• Ability to travel extensively
• Fluent English
• Has an experience/affinity with technical products and project sales
• Good organizer and planner with time management skills, you formalize actions and their follow-up/reporting (CRM, salesforce)
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, organizationally flat environment and under pressure
• Excellent negotiation and analytical skills
• Flexible and stress-resistant, you work well in a continuously changing environment
• Creative, assertive and result-oriented with initiative towards innovative solutions/ideas (entrepreneurial spirit)
• Strong work ethics
• Ability to interact with large external clients and vendors as well as key internal stakeholders
• Work independently
• Be a strong team player, and
• Work on multiple projects concurrently.
Key Relationships and Department Overview:
Internal – Global Head of Solar & related staff
External – B2B Customers, Potential Clients / Customers, Service Providers